Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Amateur Forager on the Go

My mission: To know the land, like the back of my hand. 

I gotta explore it's an absolute must, gotta start with what I know, and expand outwards from there :) Might as well share my experiences with other curious individuals.       

- My day begins early, after class I call a friend. We decide the local preserve is our destination. So.....Upon arriving at the forest I take my shoes off, for some close and personal time with my land. Some of you maybe asking, "my land" am I some sorta native american or something? The answer is NO. I have zero relation to Native Americans, or any indigenous culture.
Circumstantially,
 being born in this region. Makes it my land. 
So perspectively: We are all "Natives"



Some are interested in foraging to survive. I'm interested in foraging to live. What does that mean? I'm sick of our culture being fine with individuals & whole businesses taking advantage of life as we know it. Taking anything(including humans) and everything to then flip it for a price.  

No one raised me to love the ground beneath my feet. 
No one raised me to be a forager. 
No one raised me to walk barefoot anywhere.
What I was raised to do was drench my body in chemicals without asking why.
What I was raised to do was take food into my body that has been shipped across oceans and mountains.
What I was raised to do was to find a occupation I love, no matter if it exploits other living creatures or not.

Ultimately we all have choices. We can continue to follow and do what we have been taught. Or redefine ourselves and how we live!



STARTING BASIC:

  1. Start simple. Find the familiar. 
  2. Take Mental notes, maybe physical ones too. 
  3. When your ready, begin investigating unknown common species.
  4. Ingest at your own rate! Be cautious! ****some plants can be eaten raw, while others require being cooked!****(Beware of Look-a likes, some are poisonous all together!)
  5. Compile your own foraging guide. Personalize it to you. (Put drawings/photos, recipes, instructions, background information.) Anything you want!  

    With a friend, I walked around a local forest called "Van Horn Woods". I found clovers, dandelions, catsears, snail shells, unknown mushrooms, & oak nuts. 


I was unable to find chives at Van Horns like I did at West Park.The numerous dead snail shells all over Van Horns was shocking to me. I've never seen an actual wild snail shell. It dawned on me. I don't know anything about snails. Nor have I ever really been encouraged to know anything about them.
 Where are they to be found? What does it mean to be a snail?
 You maybe asking yourselves whether or not you know anything about them. So I think in the future i'll dedicate a whole day to snails and mushrooms. :)

Clover


Unknown mushrooms, in need of identification! 

Dandelion



Oak Nut



No comments:

Post a Comment